This year marks Lonely Planet's eighth annual Best in the U.S. list, with California’s Redwood Coast coming top
It was praised for being a place where you can 'lose all track of time (and cell signal)'
Following in second place is Boise, Idaho; capital of the fastest-growing state in the nation
Published: 07:09 EST, 6 February 2018 | Updated: 11:54 EST, 6 February 2018
Located four hours north of San Francisco, the picturesque region spans 175 miles and is home to towering forests of giant redwood trees that you might recognise from movies such as Star Wars and Jurassic Park.
The area was praised for being a place where you 'lose all track of time (and cell signal)', beating Boise in Idaho and Chattanooga in Tennessee into second and third place.
California’s Redwood Coast has been tipped as the number one destination in America to visit in 2018 by the adventure experts at Lonely Planet
Boise, meanwhile, is said to be capital of the fastest-growing state in the nation.
Adjudicators said the populous metropolis knows 'what cool looks like before the rest of the world has figured it out' and it's a hot spot when it comes to award-winning wineries, breweries and festivals.
- > From food markets to flea markets! Check out our guide to... > The city break... Venice: From Casanova¿s jail to an isle of... > Flybe named quietest and greenest airline: Budget carrier... > Would you be brave enough to explore this spooky house? A... > Etiquette expert William Hanson visits the hotel in Rome his... > Now you can have BOTH hands free as you wheel your luggage:...
- > Inside Eurostar's Business Premier class: It's a valiant... > Great British boltholes: A classic Broadway star is reborn... > EXCLUSIVE Behind the scenes at Gatwick: Meet the 'flow... > Inside the eerie sub-Antarctic abandoned whaling station...
Share this articleShare 199 shares
Meanwhile, the charming city of Chattanooga is tipped as being the 'new south' with restaurants serving up delicious fried chicken dishes and cool venues catering to a burgeoning music scene.
It is also quickly gaining national attention for its investment in technology and restored train station complex, which houses a convention centre, hotel, restaurants and shops.
Boise in Idaho came in second on the list, with its bustling, on-the-pulse scene. It is also home to a stunning mountain range
Chattanooga is tipped as being the 'new south' with delicious fried chicken and a burgeoning music scene. It is also quickly gaining national attention for its investment in technology and restored train station complex that houses a convention center, hotel, restaurants and shops
Florida’s Space Coast rocketed into fourth place, with visitors getting a unique taste of outer space on earth. The Kennedy Space Center - which opened on August 1, 1967 - is wildly popular, welcoming about 1.5 million people each year
Florida’s Space Coast rocketed into fourth place, with visitors getting a unique taste of outer space on earth.
The Kennedy Space Center - which opened on August 1, 1967 - is wildly popular, welcoming about 1.5 million people each year.
Cincinnati in Ohio sailed in at fifth place, with judges praising its thriving arts culture, while Maine's Midcoast bobbed in just behind, wooing tourists with its breathtaking coastline, quaint downtown villages and delicious lobster.
Other U.S. destinations to make the top ten included Richmond, heralded as the 'happening' capital of Virginia, the Bourbon-producing state of Kentucky and Minneapolis in Minnesota - known for its high standard of living. It is also where Super Bowl 52, between New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles, took place earlier this year at its £800million ($1,114million) U.S .Bank Stadium.
Southeastern Utah drove on to the list in at tenth place, with experts deeming it 'quintessential Americana road-trip country' with its long straight roads and sweeping landscape.
Maine's Midcoast, which came in at fifth place, is famed for its breathtaking coastline, quaint downtown villages and delicious lobster
Cincinnati in Ohio sailed in at fifth place, with judges praising its thriving arts scene
LONELY PLANET'S BEST IN THE U.S. 2018
Lonely Planet's top destinations to visit in America and what the experts are saying:
1. California’s Redwood Coast – 'Lose all track of time (and cell signal)'
2. Boise, Idaho - 'What cool looks like before the rest of the world has figured it out'
3. Chattanooga, Tennessee - 'Meet the New South!'
4. Florida’s Space Coast - 'Get a taste of outer space on earth'
5. Cincinnati, Ohio - 'A new chapter for the city’s artistic icons'
6. Midcoast, Maine - 'One word says it all: ‘Ayuh’'
7. Richmond, Virginia - 'Flipped from humdrum to happening'
8. Kentucky Bourbon Country - 'The state’s distilling heritage runs deep'
9. Minneapolis, Minnesota - 'In the spotlight for this year’s Super Bowl'
10. Southeastern Utah - 'Quintessential Americana road-trip country'
Other U.S. destinations to make the top ten included Richmond, the 'happening' capital of Virginia
The Bourbon-producing state of Kentucky came in at eighth place on the Lonely Planet list, for its fascinating distilling heritage
Commenting on the results, Lonely Planet U.S. magazine managing editor Alexander Howard said: 'These are the places American travelers should know about in 2018.
'The US is packed with timeless, well-known destinations, but if you’re looking for something different to shake up your travel plans this year, this list will get you inspired.
'Some of them are cities on the rise, or that challenge our expectations, while others offer unique experiences you can’t find anywhere else.'
Each year, Lonely Planet asks its community of travel experts - in-house editors, researchers on the road and locals on the ground - to decide on the most compelling destinations to visit in the year ahead.
This year marks its eighth annual Best in the U.S. list.
Minneapolis in Minnesota - known for its high standard of living - came in at number nine. Earlier this year, it hosted Super Bowl 52 with the game taking place in its U.S .Bank Stadium
Utah, which came tenth on the list, is known for its otherworldly scenery. Above, Reflection Canyon on Lake Powell has become a popular spot to visit
Source : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5354193/Lonely-Planets-10-places-visit-America-2018.html